Thursday, December 27, 2012

Week 19!

Challenge:
The other day I scolded Havana and Jonah for disobeying and a few minutes later I overheard Havana say, "Hey Jonah, let's go into the kitchen and make mama happy."  While her heart was so pure and sweet, I felt convicted that I have not been correcting my children the way I should be. While I do my best never to raise my voice or say hurtful words in the correction process - I do tell my children that when they disobey that makes mommy sad. Yet, in actuality, their obedience (or lack there of) should have nothing to do with pleasing me, but rather pleasing the Lord.

Instead of saying, "Mommy is disappointed in that unwise decision." I should be pointing out how that decision was in direct disobedience to what the Word of God says and leave my personal feelings out of it. I want to teach my children to have a fear of God rather than a fear of man. I want them to seek the approval of God and not men. In order to accomplish that I am going to have to remove myself out of the disciplining and use solely the Word of God. It is, after all, good for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16) and so really that (coupled with a lot of prayer) should be my only tool when explaining what is right and wrong.

While this is a good rule to live by while my children are younger - I began thinking about what it will look like as they grow older. I pictured chatting on the phone with my adult daughter, and I can only pray that I will be able to encourage her about the things that are of the Lord and the lifestyles that are consistent with the Word of God. If she is making a decision that is not in line with His Word, I hope that I will be a mother who can lovingly speak the Truth into her life instead of letting her figure it out or emphasizing her happiness. The best way to achieve those goals is to start now using Scripture as my only standard. I don't want my children to obey for my happiness, but because it is what the Lord has asked them to do.

Dear Lord, I am so sorry for the times when I don't get things right in parenting. I thank You for Your unending grace and Your perfect example. Help me be a parent who teaches my children the benefits of obeying You. Please remove my own pride and emotions from the disciplining process and help me instruct them using Your perfect Word. In Jesus Name. Amen.   

For the Love of My Children:
Father God, I thank You for my children. I know that they are gifts from You (Psalm 127:3) and I pray that I will always treat them as such. May You fulfill Your purpose for them (Psalm 138:8) in ways I can't even comprehend. I know that You are able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20) and, being confident of that, I ask that my children would set an example for all believers through their speech, life, love, faith, and purity (1 Timothy 4:12). May my children be well favored, skillful, wise, and used by You to teach others (Daniel 1:4). I pray that my children will always have a clear conscious before You and that they will desire to live honorably in every way (Hebrews 13:18). May my children's delight be in You alone (Psalm 37:4). I pray these things boldly in the name of Christ. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment